Opened: 13th April, 1868.
Closed: 13th June, 1960.
The Mound was a railway station which was formerly located on the Far North Line near the head of Loch Fleet in Scotland. For more than half of its life it was the junction for the Dornoch Light Railway.
The Sutherland Railway opened between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13th April, 1868. The Mound was amongst the intermediate stations on the line, opening with the line on 13th April, 1868. The station was 80 miles, 70 chains (130.2 km) from Inverness, 3 miles, 66 chains (6.2 km) from Rogart and 3 miles, 42 chains (5.7 km) from Golspie. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment across the head of Loch Fleet, engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford, which is now on the route of the A9 road. In 1873/4 the station had one platform on the southern side of the line; on the northern side of the line there were two goods sidings.
In 1895, a tree blew down near to the station, and it fell on the rear of the sorting carriage of a mail train from Inverness to Wick. The sorter was unhurt as he was working in the front half of the carriage at the time.
On 2nd June, 1902, the Dornoch Light Railway was opened, which connected to the main line at a junction situated 11 chains (220 m) to the west of The Mound station. The platform for the Dornoch line curved away from that of the main line. In 1906, the station had two platforms, one for each route; there was a passing loop on the main line, and the platform for the Dornoch branch had a run-round loop. Adjacent to the main line passing loop were two goods sidings, and there were three sidings to the west of the station, two of which were on the southern side of the line.
In 1922, there were six trains per day. In the 'up' direction, departures were at 6.17am, 11.30am and 5.20pm to Inverness; departures in the down direction were at 10.31am and1.55 pm to Wick and 6.38pm to Helmsdale. Trains called at most intermediate stations, although some were request stops. There were no trains on Sundays.
The Dornoch branch closed on 13th June, 1960, and The Mound Station closed the same day. The main line remains open, and the nearest station is now at Golspie.Wikipedia page
Ex-Highland Railway Class W (LMSR Class 1P) 0-4-4T No. 55051 is seen engaged in shunting at The Mound on 29th June, 1955. [R.F. Roberts]( Collapse )